Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jump to First Unread Post Nasdaq Sells Out, Prostitutes Web Site
Joubert Offline
Friendly

Nasdaq Sells Out, Prostitutes Web Site
Look at NASDAQ's main page and you see an intriguing little text link in the upper left.

"Buy stocks for $4"

Hmm, a new promotion? How can Nasdaq serve as market and seller? What's going on?

The link is an advertisement for Sharebuilder.com

Now don't get me wrong. Sharebuilder is an excellent site for someone who wants to dollar cost average their investing. I've written about and used it for almost two years now. Great site - prices are starting to climb - and fills a lovely niche.

What in blue blazes is it doing on Nasdaq's home page as a disguised link?

Not only that, but Nasdaq.com is using a pop-under ad. C'mon, how much revenue do you get for that relative to your cash flow?

I'm thoroughly disgusted at such an amateurish ploy, and I like advertising!

Suport Senator Clinton's candidacy by contributing here. Every little bit helps. If you don't want to give, at least sign up to learn more via email. Lots of grass-roots stuff already going on.

Your old music cannot sustain you through a life, not if you're someone who listens to music every day, at every opportunity. You need input, because pop music is about freshness, about Nelly Furtado and the maddeningly memorable fourth track on a first album by a band you saw on a late-night TV show. And no, that fourth track is not as good as anything on Pet Sounds or Blonde on Blonde or What's Going On, but when was the last time you played Pet Sounds? - Songbook by Nick Hornby
12-23-2001 01:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
file13
Unregistered

Everything is for sale. Even you.
12-23-2001 01:28 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Joubert Offline
Friendly

Quote:Originally posted by file13
Everything is for sale. Even you.

Yes, but are you willing to meet my price?

Suport Senator Clinton's candidacy by contributing here. Every little bit helps. If you don't want to give, at least sign up to learn more via email. Lots of grass-roots stuff already going on.

Your old music cannot sustain you through a life, not if you're someone who listens to music every day, at every opportunity. You need input, because pop music is about freshness, about Nelly Furtado and the maddeningly memorable fourth track on a first album by a band you saw on a late-night TV show. And no, that fourth track is not as good as anything on Pet Sounds or Blonde on Blonde or What's Going On, but when was the last time you played Pet Sounds? - Songbook by Nick Hornby
12-23-2001 01:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kurt_messick Offline
Friendly

Maybe NASDAQ would care to outbid the NYSE for logo placement on my communion wafers?
12-23-2001 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pluckyduck Offline
Administrator

Wow.

That's pretty undignified, isn't it? (NASDAQ, I mean, not the communion wafers, although that would be pretty undignified too. Big Grin )

Sounds like someone charged the folks responsible for the website with turning a profit, huh?

Feh. I'm all for turning a profit on websites, heavens, but there are certain things that are just the cost of doing business, and I'd think NASDAQ's website would fall into that category.

Andrea
who hates pop ups Mad

"DON'T PANIC."
-- Douglas Adams
12-23-2001 04:19 PM
Magick1 Offline
Chatty

Could that constitute an endorsement, of the wrong kind?

I mean, should they be promoting something like that?

I could see if it were a tang ad or something! Wink

Kim J

Nature is shy and noncommittal in a crowd. To learn her secrets, visit her alone or with a single friend, at most.

Montaigne

Join me and start earning Swagbucks for gift cards, merchandise, etc. and it's as easy as searching or shopping to earn points quickly! Swagbucks

Kim's links
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2001 03:13 PM by Magick1.)
12-23-2001 10:47 PM
Joubert Offline
Friendly

That was exactly my thought, Kim. Four dollars? Cool - I'll dump my broker. Oops, it is my broker. Hey, how come it's transparent?

I guess the big difference is that there is a color screen behind the "real" links and white space behind the ad. Like that would matter.

What's funny is that Sharebuilder has a very aggressive affiliate program that pays well. I wonder how many people get suckered in thinking they're trading with a retail arm of NASDAQ?

12-23-2001 10:57 PM
Magick1 Offline
Chatty

Not that I am trying to creat a problem, but wouldn't something like this be illegal?

It just doesn't seem right! Smile

Now I know!

Thanks Joubert!

Kim J

Nature is shy and noncommittal in a crowd. To learn her secrets, visit her alone or with a single friend, at most.

Montaigne

Join me and start earning Swagbucks for gift cards, merchandise, etc. and it's as easy as searching or shopping to earn points quickly! Swagbucks

Kim's links
12-24-2001 03:15 PM